The search is on in the oldest school district in the county for a new superintendent. A series of public forums is planned during December and January to collect public input in the process.
At its Sept. 23 meeting, the directors of Steilacoom Historical School District No. 1, contracted with McPherson & Jacobson LLC Recruitment and Development , in collaboration with the Washington School Directors Association as consultants for candidates for a permanent superintendent for the 150+ year old district. Michael Boring, from that firm, will conduct the forums. This past May Dr. Cathy Davidson was hired as district’s interim superintendent to replace Dr. Art Himmler, its fifth superintendent.
Community forums to meet the candidates for the position are as follows:
- Wed., Dec. 2, 2009, 6 p.m., Pioneer Middle School (DuPont)
- Wed., Dec. 16, 2009, 6 p.m., Steilacoom High School Library (Steilacoom)
- Fri., Jan. 8, 2010, 6 p.m., Anderson Island Community Clubhouse (Anderson Island)
Potential candidates will respond to the following questions: What are some of the strengths you see in the SHSD? In the community ? What are the characteristics you feel are particularly desirable in a superintendent? What challenges do you see ahead for the school district in the near future?
The selection process time line is as follows:
- Application deadline: Jan. 29, 2010
- Semi-finalists selected by Board: Feb. 10, 2010
- Semi-finalists interviews with Board of Directors: Feb. 13-16, 2010
- Finalist interviews with Board: Feb. 22-26, 2010
- Starting Date: July 1, 2010
For more information about qualifications and other details, please visit the district’s website at www.steilacoom.k12.wa.usPrint This Post