At their June meeting, the Clover Park School District Board of Directors approved the adoption of new math materials for kindergarten through eighth grade that will be implemented in the 2009-10 school year. Kindergartners will use Bridges in Mathematics, first- through fifth-graders will use Math Connects and sixth- through eighth-graders will use Holt Mathematics Courses 1-3.
Keith Rittel, deputy superintendent, and Patty Maxfield, director of teaching and learning, presented the topic to the board. According to Maxfield, an adhoc committee of teachers, principals, district staff and parents was formed in October 2008 to review potential math materials and provide feedback. Fifty-five K-8 teachers began a curriculum pilot in November 2008 at 14 schools. Community members and district employees were invited to a materials showcase in April 2009, where they provided feedback on the math materials.
The approved materials match Washington state standards by at least 70 percent. The remaining 30 percent of the standards will be addressed using supplemental materials selected by the district.
“The standardization of math curriculum is beneficial to our students,” said Maxfield. “If a student leaves one district elementary school mid-year and enrolls in another, the math instruction and materials will be the same, and that student can get back to work right away.”
Teachers had a two-day training on the new materials in June and will have additional professional development opportunities throughout the year.
The purchase of the new materials is not to exceed $2,125,320. This figure includes districtwide materials and enough textbooks for each student along with a classroom set for each K-8 math teacher.