Six students from Lakes High School’s Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) program attended the International Career Development Conference in Anaheim, Calif. earlier this month. The Lakes participants were joined by 15,000 of the best business marketing students across the United States and several other countries.
Lakes High School’s International DECA Winners:
- Tom Gaffney, fourth in the nation, apparel and accessories competition;
- Chanel Washington, fourth in the nation, business services competition, Leadership, Education and Development (LEADS) Academy graduate and Washington state president;
- Susanna Kropelnicki, Chapter Leadership Development Academy graduate
- Sam Battersby, top 30 overall, marketing management competition;
- Jane Lee, Senior Management Institute graduate; and
- Molly McWherter, top 30 overall, business one on one competition.
“This is a huge achievement for our students,” said Todd Pehowski, Lakes’ DECA co-advisor. “The international competition requires months of preparation and advancement through the area and state competition, completion of industry specific study contracts, written tests, role plays, research reports, job shadows and competition prep sessions”
Lakes’ DECA program is led by teachers Kitti Wheeler and Todd Pehowski. For more information about DECA, visit www.wadeca.org.