[singlepic id=128 w=320 h=240 float=center]
Members of Christ Lutheran Church – between 300 and 350 strong – spent a recent weekend working on 16 different projects around the community in what was called Compassion Weekend, according to Pastor Ralf Kalms.
The volunteers put in nearly 2,500 man-hours over the weekend with a cost of $25,000 to $30,000 in actual or donated expenses.
Included in the projects were the following:
- Youth for Christ Youth and Family Center in Tillicum, landscaping and community barbeque.
- Luckett House, landscaping
- Georgian House, landscaping and puppet show
- Maple Creek Care Center, landscaping and bell performance
- Fort Steilacoom Park, grave restoration, staining benches and signs
- Idlewild Elementary School, landscaping, painting and general cleanup
- Fort Lewis, puppet show for Sunday school
- YMCA Apartments, ripped out carpeting and prepared floors
- Family Renewal Shelter, landscaping and light construction
- Tacoma Rescue Mission, painting, prepping rooms, making and hanging curtains.
- Lakewood Area Shelter Association (LASA), landscaping, built raised bed garden, general cleanup
- World Vision AIDS kits, packed 200 AIDS caregiver kits with personal notes in each
- Lutheran World relief, quilting marathon, packed health kits
- Nativity House, packed kits, prepared and served lunch
- Knitting Bee, made prayer shawls, caps
- Fleece blankets, blankets made and distributed at care centers.
Christ Lutheran Church is located at 8211 112th Street, Lakewood.