LAKEWOOD, WA – Our annual spring celebration, MayFest, is a very extraordinary one this year as Lakewold Gardens celebrates its 20th Anniversary as a public garden. This inspiring milestone for the gardens will be commemorated during this weeklong event, which will include extended open hours, exhibits and displays, discounted memberships, and Mother’s Day Brunch. The Tacoma Garden Club will round out the festivities the following week with the Growing Inspiration flower show, honoring this very special year for Lakewold.
MayFest runs from May 2nd – 10th, from 10:00am to 4:00pm. Open everyday that week, this occasion highlights the time of year when the gardens are in full bloom with special offers and a variety of events. Visitors to the garden can enjoy:
- Half-price, buy one get one free and complimentary membership specials.
- Local artist, Keith Phillips, will be at the Garden Shop May 9th from 12:00pm -2:00pm. His stonework will also be on display May 2nd – 10th at the Garden Shop.
- Yesterday’s Chevelles and El Caminos Car Club car show May 3rd from 10:00am-3:00pm.
- Lakewood Arts Commission Art Exhibit May 3rd – 6th from 10:00am-4:00pm and includes artwork from several local artists.
- Ikebana International #147 will have over 20 displays May 3rd – 6th.
- Olympia Bonsai Club display May 4th – 6th.
- Flag dedication and ceremony presented by Boy Scout Troop 266 on May 9th at 11:00am.
- Annual Mother’s Day Brunch on May 10th. Two seatings are available at 10:30am or 1:00pm by advance reservation only.
Most MayFest events are included in the cost of admission. Standard admission fees are: $7 for adults, $5 for students, seniors, and military, and free for children 12 and under. May 9th will feature buy one/get one admission free – visitors are encouraged to bring a friend to take advantage of this special offer.
Following MayFest, the Tacoma Garden Club presents their Growing Inspiration flower show, which honors Lakewold in a myriad of ways. The show features five divisions of which garden club members will compete. Several classes within each division celebrate the unique qualities of Lakewold by requiring that entries emulate various traits of the estate. Also, two new classes at the show are Photography and Botanical Jewelry. These fresh additions are sure to result in creative and original entries. Lakewold Gardens has a longstanding relationship with the Tacoma Garden Club beginning with Mrs. Eulalie Wagner, who was an avid member. Admission to the show is free May 15th, while standard Lakewold admission fees apply May 16th.
Sponsorship for MayFest is generously provided by Columbia Bank. Please contact Amanda Wood at 253.584.4106, x108 for more information on MayFest events.
Lakewold Gardens is a ten acre, non-profit public garden located on Gravelly Lake at 12317 Gravelly Lake Drive SW, Lakewood, WA 98499. We are open year-round for tours; April-September, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. – winter hours vary, please call ahead 253.584.4106 or visit www.lakewoldgardens.org.Print This Post