The Historic Fort Steilacoom will celebrate its 160th Anniversary with a 3-day celebration from May 8-10, 2009. There will be Washington pioneer history demonstrations and Civil War battles daily.
The event is sponsored by: City of Lakewood, Historic Fort Steilacoom Association, & Historical 4th US Infantry Association, NW and is scheduled to include:
Friday, May 8
- School tours & activities.
- Media day
Saturday, May 9
- Opening ceremonies with state, city, and US Army dignitaries; Army marching band & bagpipers.
- Reenactor equipment swap meet.
- Reenactor potluck & Civil War period dance.
Sunday, May 10
- Reenactor event card raffle. Reenacting equipment & supplies as prizes. 1861 Springfield rifle as grand prize.
- Closing ceremonies.
All reenactors from early American history through 1890 are encouraged to attend! American Indian tribes, Mountain Men, Revolution, Lewis & Clark Expedition, Oregon Trail, Western, Civil War and Indian Wars. Washington Civil War Association battlefield rules of conduct, safety screening and precautions will be in effect.
Historic Fort Steilacoom Association will provide docents to conduct tours of the fort buildings & period camps.
Free admission will be granted to students with school ID. Free admission to active military & dependents with military ID.
Participant amenities, free without charge:
- Historical camps, modern camping (tenting), RV camping.
- Food vendors/sutlers, water, firewood, Honey buckets.
- 24 hour city police coverage, day & night security patrols, standby fire & rescue, first-aid station.
Volunteers are needed to:
- Help with setup & cleanup of the event.
- We need a modest presence of camps & reenactors for the school field trips & media coverage on Friday.
- We need a Civil War rebel military & Civil War rebel civilian group to host those immersion package winners who might want to don the Grey. Please call/eMail John Strand in Seattle for details (206) 784-4123, StrandJR@hotmail.com. This has great recruiting potential!