Students from Beachwood, Custer, Dower, Evergreen, Greenwood, Hillside, Idlewild, Park Lodge and Tillicum Elementary Schools prepared their recipes with the guidance of an adult volunteer. The student chefs were responsible for their finished food products, including plate and table presentation.
To participate in the event, fourth-graders throughout the district were asked to submit healthy, kid-friendly recipes. These 18 students were selected to prepare their recipes out of more than 150 students.
“This is so cool,” said R’manda Strather, a Greenwood student. “I really like this big kitchen and I think cooking is a lot of fun. I hope the judges like my recipe.”
A panel of judges tasted each recipe and had the difficult task of selecting just five winners in the following categories:
- Best Table Presentation: Giana Spurr, Dower Elementary, Giana’s Pita Bread Sandwich;
- Kid Friendly Food Preparation: Abrianna Hodgson, Evergreen Elementary, Abrianna’s Fruit Drink Mix;
- Fun Foods: Austin Newville, Hillside Elementary, Gone Fishin;
- Health Conscious Foods: Kristin Brown, Idlewild Elementary, Banana Extreme Muffins; and
- Judges Choice: Catherine Nelson, Idlewild Elementary, The Gobbler.