Lakewood, WA – At 9:48 a.m. (Thursday, January 22) the Lakewood Fire Department responded to a report of smoke and flames coming from a duplex located at 8819 34th Ave S. Firefighters arrived to find heavy flames and smoke coming from the rear of the duplex. Engine 21 was the first on scene and attacked the fire from the exterior of the structure and then moved into the interior to extinguish the fire which was declared under control at 10:34 a.m.
One unit suffered major damage from the fire. The other unit suffered smoke damage as well as damage to the roof. Two families were displaced as a result of this fire. The American Red Cross will be assisting these families.
The fire started when one of the occupants dropped something under her bed. She went to look for the item utilizing a candle. Unfortunately, the candle lit her bedding on fire. Damages are estimated at $74,000 to structure and $58,000 in contents. No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.Print This Post