Take predicted high winds, then add in a dash of new and old ice and snow, and you get significantly increased odds of power outages this weekend. Tacoma Power asks its customers to prepare for potential power outages now.
Tacoma Power customers can take a few precautions to prepare them if the power goes out, including:
- Charge cell phones and keep a corded phone handy. Most portable phones lose their signal when the power goes out and cell phone coverage can come and go.
- Keep flashlights and candles in multiple places around the house for easy access.
- Have a battery-operated or wind-up radio available. Listen for power outage updates.
If the power goes out, Tacoma Power customers should:
- Report power outages by calling (253) 502-8602.
- Never use barbecues indoors for cooking or heating.
- Carefully follow generator instructions to ensure proper use. Improperly connected generators create safety hazards inside and outside the home and present dangers to line electricians working on the electrical system.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed and stock up on non-perishable foods.
- Never assume a downed power line is dead. Stay as far away from a downed line as possible, and keep children and pets at a safe distance. Write down the location of the downed line and immediately call Tacoma Power at (253) 502-8602. Crews will make repairs as soon as possible.
- Be patient and know that Tacoma Power‚Äôs team is working hard to restore power as quickly as possible.