Lakewood, WA — At approximately 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday evening, the Lakewood Fire Department responded to a residential fire at 8301 Custer Road SW. Crews arrived to find a fire in the front room, with the occupant safely out of the home.
The man told crews that he was using a portable propane barbeque to heat his home, in addition to candles. The fire started when the man tried to change the propane bottle on the heater and it came in contact from the flame of a candle sitting nearby.
The man attempted to extinguish the fire, but was unsuccessful. Firefighters had the fire under control within nine minutes of the first engine‚Äôs arrival. Damages are estimated at $28,500.
The Lakewood Fire Department would like to remind residents not to use propane heaters indoors, nor as a primary heat source. Using these types of devices indoors can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Also limit the use of candles, as they are a fire hazard, especially if left unattended. Be sure to extinguish the candle when leaving a room or going to sleep.
If there is a fire in your home, remember your fire escape plan and once you are outside, do not re-enter the building for any reason.Print This Post