The Oakbrook Golf and Country Club Summer Youth Sports Program reports record enrollment in its 2008 session just completed. Children between the ages of six and eighteen received professional instruction and coaching in golf, swimming and tennis during the summer months.
One hundred five students received certification of completion in various levels of the Professional Golfers Association sponsored Junior Golf program. Two of these students from Fort Lewis Army families serving overseas attended on Club provided scholarships. Thirty seven students completed the Aquatic program and forty completed the Tennis program.
This program of summer youth education provides significant service to the youth of Lakewood by delivering the five promises of America‚Äôs and Lakewood‚Äôs Promise not only to the children and grandchildren of members but also to scholarship students from Fort Lewis and McChord.
- Caring Adult. The ratio of professional and knowledgeable volunteer adults to students is approximately one to four. Emphasis is always on mentoring and coaching.
- Education. All courses are provided under the auspices of professional associations and all students are graded according to published standards
- Secure Environment. All programs are provided in a safe, stable and professionally supervised setting.
- Healthful Environment. All three sports provide healthful outdoor physical activity coached and monitored by qualified professionals.
- Opportunities to Serve. Older students tutor and mentor younger students routinely as part of their learning process.
This report is available for public inspection by calling the club at 584-8888.
Submitted by Fred Willis