Lakewood‚Äôs Community Connection to Fort Lewis, the 4th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division returned to Fort Lewis in June after a 15-month deployment to Iraq. The City will have a program on Monday, August 4th at 7pm (as part of the regular council meeting) to recognize the brigade‚Äôs deployment and its sacrifices. The brigade was an integral part of the Army‚Äôs ‚Äúsurge‚Äù effort which has been widely credited for quelling violence in Iraq.
The program will consist of the following:
- Introduction of the 2008 ‚ÄúLakewood Idol‚Äù winner, Maureen Elias, an Army veteran and Army wife who will sing the National Anthem.
- A Proclamation recognizing the ‚Äú2008 Army Times Soldier of the Year‚Äù winner, First Sergeant William Harlan, a Lakewood citizen and 4-2 SBCT Soldier.
- Comments and video by Colonel Jon Lehr, the 4-2‚Äôs brigade commander
- Unveiling of a memorial plaque prototype identifying the 54 soldiers (assigned and attached) who died while serving with the brigade in Iraq.
- A brief social period with refreshments.
The public is highly encouraged to attend.Print This Post