Power to the Town of Steilacoom will be shut off for approximately 12 hours beginning at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 to allow for required maintenance and repair work on our Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) substation. If everything goes as planned, power should be restored to the town no later than 8 p.m. that evening. The type of maintenance and repair work being performed requires the complete shutdown of the substation.
Power Outage Preparations
- If you have an electric garage door opener, find out where the manual override mechanism is located and try it to be sure you know how to operate it before the power is off.
- Turn off all appliances except the refrigerator, freezer, and one light (to let you know when the power comes back on).
- Turn off the oven and range to avoid accidental burns when the power is restored.
- If your freezer is completely full it will stay cold enough to keep foods frozen for two days. Keep the door closed. If a freezer is only half-full, food will remain frozen for approximately 24 hours (the outage is scheduled for 12 hours). When the power is restored, check all food and throw out anything that doesn‚Äôt look or smell right.
- Use hot water sparingly if you have an electric hot water tank.
- For those who have a backup generator, keep in mind that if they are improperly used, home generators can cause a deadly accident for utility crews while outages are being repaired. If you must connect your generator to the existing system, the installation must first be inspected by the Town (there is no charge for the inspection) to ensure the safety of our crews.
- If you have a home alarm system, contact your monitoring company and inform them of the time and dates of the planned outages – 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM on Wednesday July 16, 2008.
- For homes with sewer grinder pumps, it is recommended that you manually pump down your wet well just prior to the outage at 8:00 AM
- When the power is restored, turn on your appliances gradually. An immediate, heavy demand for electricity after an outage often damages repaired equipment and can cause another outage.
- If you have additional questions, please call Steilacoom Public Works at 581-1912.