A meeting of POP (Protect our Pets) will be held January 24, 2008 starting at 6:30 p.m. at Lakewood City Hall in Room 3A (6000 Main St SW, Lakewood).
The mission of POP is to establish, promote and maintain an off-leash area at Fort Steilacoom Park for both dog owners and their companions to socialize and exercise is a safe, recreational environment.
Protect Our Pets was formed to help develop, maintain and promote the Off-Leash Dog Park at Fort Steilacoom Park in Lakewood, WA. The small group quickly grew to more than 100 citizens who desired to have a safe, clean and friendly place for dog owners to meet and give their pets some room to run.
The off-leash dog park benefits the community in many ways:
- Allows socialization and exercise of dogs in a safe environment
- Promotes responsible pet ownership
- Provides elderly and disabled owners an accessible place to exercise their companions
- Enables dogs to legally run off-leash
- Promotes public health and safety
- Provides a tool for realistic enforcement of dog control laws
- To assist county and city park systems in managing, stewarding and improving the off-leash dog recreation area at Fort Steilacoom Park.
- Educating citizens about responsible dog ownership.
- Promoting the concept of off-leash dog recreation.
- Encouraging the establishment of off-leash dog recreation areas.
- Solicit contributions, donations and collect funds for the improvement, maintenance and betterment of the park facility as an off-leash dog park
Check website for more information.