Nov. 11 marks the 108th anniversary of Washington’s statehood. It’s also the same day that’s been marked since 1919 to honor its veterans.
What does it mean to be a Veteran?
Students in Steilacoom Historical School District#1- and community guests are invited to share in remembering the reason for the almost 90-year-old national holiday. Local schools are hosting programs on Nov. 9, two days before the official holiday.
Anderson Island Elementary School students will focus their program on interviews with area veterans. Similar programs featuring speakers and special music are scheduled.
Please note: Although district schools are closed on Monday, Nov. 12, Harriet Taylor school will hold its commemoration at noon on that day. The Veterans Day program at Chloe Clark Elementary will be held on Nov. 13.
Below is the schedule for SHSD events:
- 8:30 a.m. Anderson Island Elementary
- 9:00 a.m. Pioneer Middle School
- 9:00 a.m. Saltar’s Point Elementary
- 1:30 p.m. Steilacoom High School
- 2:40 p.m. Cherrydale Primary School
- Noon, Nov. 12 Harriet Taylor Elementary
- 8:55 a.m., Nov. 13 Chloe Clark Elementary School
Submitted by Nancy Covert