Beginning Sunday, September 16, the I-5 off-ramps at Exit 120 to North Fort Lewis will be closed due to gate construction. This will affect northbound and southbound traffic to North Fort only. Access to the main post gate via the Exit 120 off-ramps will not be affected.
Drivers are encouraged to use alternate routes to access North Fort Lewis:
- From I-5 South, take a right off the off-ramp at Exit 119, then take a right onto DuPont-Steilacoom Rd. to enter North Fort Lewis at the I Street gate. The I Street gate will be open from 5 a.m. – 6 p.m., Monday-Friday.
- From I-5 North, take a right off the off-ramp at Exit 119, and enter the main post at the DuPont Gate, and use the Pendleton underpass past the Fort Lewis Museum for access to North Fort Lewis. The DuPont Gate is open from 5:30 a.m. – 9 p.m. daily.
- The D Street Gate on the back of North Fort Lewis will be open 24/7 until construction is completed.
Drivers on the installation should also note:
- During construction, traffic through the North Fort Gate will be limited to one lane in each direction and posted speed limits will be strictly enforced. Drivers should expect construction delays.
- Vehicles leaving the post from the North Fort Gate or Main Gate can access I-5 in either direction.
The construction is expected to continue through late November.