A University Place couple was forced out of their home early in the morning of June 12, and unhurt; a result of an early morning fire. At approximately 3:22 am the resident of 4454 Memory Lane reported her house on fire. The home is an older two story house with a full basement. The couple was sleeping in separate locations of the house when the fire occurred. The husband was awakened by the crackling of fire from his upstairs bedroom. He went down stairs to the basement to wake his wife and discovered flames on the outside deck off the main floor.
The on duty Battalion Chief and engine companies reported heavy smoke and flames visible as they were responding to the scene. Upon arrival one side of the exterior and a portion of the interior of the house was heavily involved.
One engine from Tacoma Fire Department also responded and assisted with extinguishment.
The house did not have a fire sprinkler system installed. Smoke detectors in the upstairs bedroom and basement did activate. There was no detector on the main floor.
Damage to the home and contents is estimated at $350,000.00.
The fire remains under investigation by Pierce County Fire Marshal’s Office and University Place Fire Department.
Story and Photo by
Dave Dupille, Asst. Chief
University Place Fire