“Too many cooks spoil the broth,” according to one piece of folklore.
That wasn”t the case, though, when more than 30 cooks competed in Sodexho Food Service’s 2007 Southern Washington Food Competition.
In fact, the broth and the rest of the comestibles were extremely palatable, according to dozens of unbiased tasters. The competition, the second annual one, was held March 20 at Clover Park School District’s Food Service Center in Lakewood.
Steilacoom Historical School District’s four-person team earned the Grand Prize in this year’s event that included teams from six other school districts.
SHSD’s team included Heidi Singleton, Josie Smith, Teresa Sealing and Steve Wolff.
“This annual event provides an opportunity for schools’ food services staffers to demonstrate the range of their culinary talents. It’s more than preparing chicken mcnuggets for school lunches,” said Steilacoom’s Food Services Manager Katie Lottes.
Each team prepared an entr?©e, a salad, a side dish, and designed an appropriate table decoration for their entry. Food preparation for the competition began earlier that afternoon.
Final results were displayed and sampled by approximately 50 appreciative guests from participating districts.
Gary Blackburn, Sodexho’s District Manager presented medals and certificates to individual category winners that included:
- Team Spirit: Battleground School District
- Best Table Decoration: Clover Park School District
- Best Food and Physical Safety Practices: Chehalis School District
- Best Entr?©e/Side Dish: Peninsula School District
- Best Salad Plate: Centralia School District
- Chef’s Choice: Camus School District
- Grand Prize: Steilacoom Historical School District No. 1.