Newly certified. Recently, the Clover Park Board of Directors honored eight instructors for becoming National Board Certified Teachers.
Front row from left Rosemary Ballard, Alternative for Individuals HS; Loraine Curry, Mann MS, Karen Knudson, Lakes HS; Barbara Hairston and Sandra Calahan, Idlewild ES; Dr. Doris McEwen Harris, superintendent; back row: Abigail Brownell, Custer ES; Lea Bearden, Greenwood ES; Dana Bachellerie-Gage, 5-12 LC; Walt Kelcy, board president; Connie Coleman-Lacadie, board vice president and Mark Wriggle, board member.
Eight Clover Park School District (CPSD) teachers have joined the ranks of National Board Certified Teachers (NBCT). Currently, 25 district teachers are board certified.
The program is academically rigorous and requiring focus and time management skills. Some candidates complete the NBCT coursework in as little as one year while others take up to three years.
According to Jan Lonsway, district supervisor of professional development, board certification requires candidates to demonstrate the highest teaching standards in the nation.
She said certification is valid for 10 years, is transferable to most states, and is a way to add an endorsement to a current teaching certificate.
Certification can add an annual $3,500 in salary bonus, as well as available clock hours and university credits. Gov. Chris Gregoire has proposed boosting the annual stipend awarded to NBCTs to 10 percent of the teacher’s salary, with additional bonuses paid to those who teach math and science and who do so in schools that serve students who face particular economic challenges.
The following CPSD instructors earned NBCT distinctions recently:
- Dana Bachellerie-Gage & 5-12 Learning Community, English Language Arts/Adolescence and Young Adulthood
- Rosemary Ballard & Alternative for Individuals High School, Exceptional Needs Specialist/Early Childhood through Young Adulthood
- Leah Bearden & Greenwood Elementary School, Generalist/Early Childhood
- Abigail Brownell & Custer Elementary School, Generalist/Middle Childhood
- Sandra Calahan & Idlewild Elementary School, Generalist/Middle Childhood
- Loraine Curry & Mann Middle School, English Language Arts/Early Adolescence
- Barbara Hairston & Idlewild Elementary School, Generalist/Middle Childhood
- Karen Knudson & Lakes High School, Library Media/Early Childhood through Young Adulthood
Story and Photo by Rich Bartell