For the week of May 16-23 Lakewood Fire District personnel responded to 204 calls for service. To date we have responded to 3,614 calls for service in 2006.
May 18, 2006
Firefighters responded to a report of a kitchen fire at 3502 92nd Street South. Upon arrival they found smoke showing from the second floor. Upon investigation it was determined that all occupants were out of the unit. Firefighters entered the structure with a 1-3/4″ hose line and extinguished the fire. The fire was contained to the stove and the upper cabinets of the kitchen. Total damage was estimated at $9,000.
May 19, 2006
Lakewood Fire Department personnel responded to a report of an airway obstruction at a local restaurant. On arrival firefighters found a 53 year old female who had a complete airway obstruction. Paramedics administered the Heimlich maneuver and were able to expel the object, a large piece of chicken. They then proceeded to assist the patients’ breathing by utilizing a bag valve mask. The patient was transported to St. Clare Hospital for further evaluation and treatment.
May 19, 2006
Paramedics responded to a report of a severe allergic reaction. On arrival they found a 19 month old female who had possibly ingested some candy with peanuts. Parents informed the paramedics that the child had a prior history of severe allergic reaction to peanuts. The patient was treated and transported to Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital for further evaluation.
May 20, 2006
Firefighters responded to a report of a car versus pedestrian incident. On arrival they found a five year old male who had been struck by a slow moving SUV. The vehicle had been moving at approximately 1-5 mph, the child had not been wearing a helmet. The child was crying with a slight bit of blood coming from his mouth. Paramedics completed a thorough exam and transported the child to Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital.