A perennial problem property in Lakewood is now closed. The Colonial Motel, at 12117 Pacific Highway Southwest, was shut down yesterday after a coalition of government agencies conducted an inspection that found dangerous electrical malfunctions, animal feces in living quarters, and other junk and trash that threatened the health of the several families living in the hotel. Those families are being helped to other housing by the city and the Lakewood Area Shelter Association.
An initial exterior inspection of the property was conducted by Lakewood police and building officials, who noted electrical repairs were made to the building without the owners first obtaining permits to do the work. Fearing the possibility of a fire caused by the shoddy work, the city called in the Lakewood fire marshall and the state Department of Health (Division of Hotels) as well as Labor and Industries (Electrical Division). After finding several more violations, including insufficient fire escapes, all the agencies involved unanimously supported closing the motel.
This is the second major inspection of the Colonial Motel. The first inspection was in 1999 and it resulted in the temporary closure of the business. It is anticipated that the state will revoke the motel’s operating license and that the city will revoke the business license issued to the motel’s owner. Either action could lead to the permanent closure of the Colonial Motel.