A power pole on the southwest corner of Palisade Boulevard and Center Street in Dupont caught fire Saturday afternoon about 5 p.m. Dupont Fire Chief Chris Jensen wasn’t sure at the time how it started. The concern was in controlling the situation. Pedestrians were kept back from the area, naturally.
The fire was 25 to 30 feet above ground level and burned through about 75 percent of the pole by the time police and fire personnel arrived. Puget Sound Energy, Dupont, Steilacoom and Ft. Lewis all responded to the call.
There were no known injuries, but many area residents turned out to watch the action as fire and power company crews tackled the emergency.
Crews will work into the night to ensure area is secured.