Lakewood History Museum displays local golf history

Sue Scott giving visitor a souvenir postcard

After months of planning, the Lakewood History Museum debuted its much anticipated exhibit, “Playgrounds of the Lakes District: Lakewood’s Sports History”– just in time to capture the interest of U.S. Open visitors. It explores our community’s surprisingly prominent, but little known and mostly forgotten, role in the world of sports and leisure over the past century. [Read more…]

Around the Sound: Wedding Anniversary Tea inaugurates ‘Dines Out’ fundraiser

IMG_5063

May 28, 1868 was a red-letter day in the lives of early Steilacoom residents Nathaniel Orr and his bride, Emma Thompson.  This past Sunday afternoon, one hundred forty-seven years later, a dozen guests arrived at the historic Nathaniel Orr Home on Rainier Street for a Wedding Anniversary Tea to mark that occasion. The tea was the “kick off” event for the 2015 Steilacoom Historical Museum Association’s bi-annual fundraiser, “Steilacoom Dines Out.” [Read more…]

Around the Sound: Steilacoom’s early gravel operation

IMG_5051

With the 2015 USGA TOURNAMENT getting closer, media coverage has intensified on an area measuring 930 acres, located west of Chambers Bay Road where this national golf tournament is scheduled to take place in mid-June. The Scottish-style links course that debuted in 2010 has its roots in a former gravel operation that began there in the late 1800s through 2003, when the last of the gravel was removed from the site and relocated to another gravel site at DuPont. [Read more…]