Prepare and submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid

WHEN?    THURSDAY evening, January 5th from 6 – 8PM in the Library –Tech Lab at Clover Park High School. Join PLU’s financial aid super team to prepare and submit your FAFSA.

WHAT DOCUMENTS WILL I NEED TO BRING?     You will need records of income earned the year prior to when you will start school. You also need records of your parents’/stepparents’ income information if you are a dependent student. For the 2012-2013 school year you will need financial information from 2011.


  • Your Social Security number, your parent’s/stepparent’s Social Security numbers
  • Your parent’s/stepparent’s birthdates
  • Your driver’s license (if any)
  • Your PIN and PIN for one parent/stepparent (See step one on flip side!)
  • Your 2011 W-2 forms or final pay stub from 2011, and other records of money earned
  • Your (and your spouse’s, if you are married) 2011 Federal Income Tax Return.
    • IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040 EZ , Foreign Tax Return, or tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federal States of Micronesia, or Palau
  • Your Parents  Income information (if you are a dependent student)
  • Your 2011 untaxed income records
  • Your current bank statements
  • Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records
  • Your alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)

To organize your information, you can print and complete a FAFSA on the Web Worksheet before you begin entering your information online. However, you are not required to do so. FAFSA on the Web will guide you through the questions that you must answer, and you can save your application and return to it later if you don’t have the information you need to answer any of the questions.
Keep these records- start a FINANCIAL AID FILE!! You will file again in 2013.

The FAFSA, completed online, is the first step in the financial aid process. Work with a parent, stepparent, guardian, or financial aid officer to apply for federal student financial aid, such as the Pell grant, College Bound Scholarship,  student loans, and college work-study. Most states and schools require FAFSA information to award their financial aid.

The easiest way to file the FAFSA is electronically on or just after
January 1st 2012.

STEP ONE – You and one parent/stepparent need to obtain a Personal Identification Number (PIN). Your PIN will serve as your electronic signature for the online FAFSA application.  It’s similar to the Personal Identification Number (PIN) that you get from your bank that enables you to access your account. Anyone—including parents of dependent students—who has a valid Social Security Number and is a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen may apply for a PIN. Because you use your PIN to sign your financial aid documents, and will use the same one year after year – you should keep it in a safe place.
To apply go to, and select Apply for a PIN.

STEP TWO – Go to the FAFSA website at: Locate the FAFSA ON THE WEB WORKSHEET.  Collect the necessary information/documents listed on the flip side of this and complete the worksheet.  Remember if you and your parent(s) have not yet filed your 2011 income tax return you can still file your FAFSA early January. You may estimate your tax amounts for now and once you have completed your 2011 tax forms, make the necessary corrections to your file online.

STEP THREE – Go online to January 1st to transfer the information from your worksheet or FAFSA 4caster into your electronic FAFSA and submit.  If you would like some help applying or have questions plan on attending a financial aid workshop with your parent/guardian on:

YOU ARE INVITED Thursday, January 5th at 6:00PM in the library at CPHS. Bring your pin numbers with you, social security numbers, and tax (income) information from 2011. Turn over for the list $